Section 1 - Subject Organization and Rationale
The purpose of the Portfolio Project is to synthesize current research about the project management office (PMO) for the purpose of developing a PMO recommendation. The Portfolio Project is structured to help you demonstrate understanding of the course material, as well as the implications of new knowledge gained from research beyond the course readings and lectures.
Your Portfolio Project will be developed in three independent but cohesive sections, which considered in whole constitutes your PMO recommendation. The three sections are:
- Section 1: Subject Organization and Rationale
- Section 2: PMO Mission, Charter, and Competency
- Section 3: PMO Recommendations
Section 1 and Section 2 will be submitted as Portfolio Project milestones in Module 3 and Module 6, respectively.
Section 3 will constitute your final Portfolio Project due at the end of the course in Module 8.
**********Option #1: Recommendation for the Implementation of a New PMO**********
A key aspect of the Portfolio Project Section 1 is to secure instructor approval for the Portfolio Project subject organization selected, which is required before commencing with subsequent Portfolio Project sections.
Based on your research of the subject organization, substantively address the following key elements:
- Subject organization information:
- Organization name
- Organization's mission, vision, and values statement
- Industry type and organization demographics
- Description of organization's culture
- Executive sponsor and key stakeholders
- PMO business case:
- Assessment of existing project management:
- Project management methods
- Project management tools
- Project management experience
- Project management maturity
- Perceived PMO benefits for the organization:
- Overarching business rationale
- Long term measurable goals (2-3)
- First year specific goals and metrics
- Quantified value proposition (short and long term)
Your essay should address the following requirements:
- Your well-written PMO recommendation essay thesis should be 4 pages in length, which does not include the title, reference, or appendix pages. You need to add headings associated and subheadings with each of the bullet points listed in the Section 1 requirements.
- Format your paper per the C (Links to an external site.)SU Global Writing Center (Links to an external site.), which includes an introduction and conclusion.
- Include title and reference pages.
- In addition to your course textbook, cite at least three current (published within the past 5 years) scholarly resources (peer-reviewed, official governmental reports, and other scholarly sources) to support your suppositions, assertions, and conclusions. To enhance your learning experience, scholarly resources are available from the CSU Global library.
- Include an appendix for tables and figures as appropriate.
Please write clearly, concisely, and cohesively; use section level headers to organize the key elements of your thesis.